Bottom Line
Tax Tips
Income tax time: part two

Barry and Howard
PBS Tax & Bookkeeping Service

We’re now well into tax-filing season, and if you are not ready, it’s time to get motivated. For those of you who don’t have a problem gathering paperwork, you should follow the income tax organizer you received from your tax preparer. If you did not receive an organizer, you can call various tax preparers, including us, to get one. A tax organizer simplifies the information-gathering procedure and goes a long way in preventing the omission of important deductions. It is best to get a tax organizer from a preparer who specializes in the trucking industry.

For some of you, it is an extreme hardship to gather tax information. If you are one of these people, you should box all the paperwork you have and send it to your tax preparer so they can compile the proper records to prepare a return. Instead of procrastinating, this will ensure the tax return gets done on time and save you the cost of needless penalties, which can exceed the cost of the tax preparation.

Frequently asked questions
We have been getting many inquiries regarding the per-diem allowance. Instead of using actual expenses for meals and incidental expenses, per diem may be deducted. The per-diem allowance for lodging may not be used by self-employed taxpayers; actual lodging receipts are required.

For 2002, the deduction for meals is 65 percent for drivers subject to the DOT hours-of-service limitations. The deduction will increase incrementally to 80 percent by 2008.

Transportation workers are eligible to use a special standard meal allowance of $38 per day. To qualify, the work must directly involve moving people or goods by airplane, barge, bus, ship, train or truck.

Do I pay taxes when I sell my equipment?
If you acquire an asset for $50,000, and you have depreciated $40,000 worth, your tax basis in that property is $10,000 — the $50,000 original cost less $40,000 depreciation taken. If you were to sell that equipment for $25,000, you would have a gain of $15,000. The gain is taxable.

The gain is ordinary income, not capital gain. If you traded in the old equipment instead of selling it, there would be no gain to report on your tax return, but the depreciation available on your new equipment would be $15,000 less.


Make sure you have totaled all your income and compared your figures with what is reported on your earnings statements, 1099, W-2s and K-1s. Be sure you do not include your W-2 income in the total of your self-employed income.

Have a breakdown and total for all business expenses by category, such as fuel, phone, insurance, repairs, parts and tires. This should include checks written, cash, credit card purchases and deductions from settlements. Don’t forget ATM and bank charges.

Obtain all contracts on purchases and/or leases and make copies for your tax preparer.

Compile your 1099s if you’re an independent contractor or owner-operator and Wage and Earning Statements (W-2s) if you’re a company driver. You will receive tax statements on mortgage interest, property taxes, interest income, dividend income and stock sales.

Total the number of nights away from home to get the per-diem meal allowance of $38 per day. For 2002, the per diem is 65 percent deductible.

This article has been presented by PBS Tax & Bookkeeping Service, a company that has been providing income tax and bookkeeping services to the trucking industry for more than a quarter century. Contributions to this article were made by Shasta May, director of business development for PBS. If you would like further information, please contact us at 1-800-697-5153 or visit our Web site at

Everyone’s financial situation is different. This article does not give and is not intended to give specific accounting and/or tax advice. Please consult with your own tax or accounting professional.