Bottom Line
The Winds of Change
Do they or don’t they?
Anti-idling incentives: a state- by-state roundup

By Aaron Ladage
staff writer

One of the most frequently asked questions OOIDA receives regarding auxiliary power units is, “Does my state offer any type of grant or loan program to help me purchase one of these for myself?”

Unfortunately, that’s not a simple question to answer.

Two Land Line staffers spent the better part of a week phoning state environmental agencies, APU manufacturers and federal regulatory groups to find out where and how a trucker can get money for anti-idling technology.

While some state officials were quite knowledgeable, many knew less about the availability of APUs than the truckers who were asking the question in the first place.

Please keep in mind that a grant or loan program could fall under a number of different state or federal agencies, and while we did our best to canvas all 50 states, it’s possible some programs were missed. Several states are also still in the process of setting up programs; however, if their funding wasn’t available as of press time, we did not include them on this list.

SmartWay Innovative Financing
• Funds available for state agencies to start anti-idling programs
• Savings calculator available online
Web site:
Phone: (202) 343-9269

ADEQ Small Business Loan Program
• Co-sponsored by OOIDA, SmartWay and Arkansas Department of Air Quality
• Loans up to $45,000 at 80 percent of Prime Interest Rate, with loan terms up to 10 years
Web site:
Phone: 1-888-233-0326

Carl Moyer Memorial Air Quality Standards Attainment Program
• More than $100 million distributed since program’s start in 1998
• Technology must meet emissions standards established by the program
• At least 75 percent of miles run must be in California
Web site:
Phone: 1-800-242-4450

California, Oregon and Washington (Interstate 5 corridor)
SmartWay Upgrade Kits
• Customizable kit can include APU, tires and exhaust after-treatment
• Costs vary depending on kit options
• Financing available (see “Nationwide” above)
Web site:
Phone: (202) 564-4355

Regional Air Quality Counsel Clean Air Fleets Program
• Trucks must be registered in Colorado
• $48,750 in total funding available for programs
• Covers 80 percent of purchase price
Web site:
Phone: (303) 629-5450 Ext. 230

MPCA Small Business Environmental Improvement Loan Program
• Co-sponsored by OOIDA, SmartWay and Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
• Loans up to $50,000 available at an interest rate of 4 percent or one-half of Prime Interest Rate, whichever is greater, with loan terms up to seven years
Web site:
Phone: 1-800-985-4247

North Carolina
Mobile Source Emissions Reductions Grants
• Broad program aimed at reducing emissions in all mobile sources (e.g., buses and trucks)
• Must utilize EPA-approved technologies
Web site:
Phone: (919) 733-1498

Everybody Wins Program
• $500,000 in total funds received from the EPA’s SmartWay program
• Provides zero-interest financing for purchase of anti-idling technology
Web site:
Phone: (541) 736-1056

Pennsylvania Small Business Advantage Grant Program
• Wide-reaching program aimed at all small businesses
• Provides 50 percent of matching grants, up to $7,500, for qualified technology
Web site: (click on “Small Business Advantage Grant Program” under “Energy Topics)
Phone: (717) 772-5160

Emissions Reduction Incentive Grants Program
• Grants limited to residency in specific counties listed on Web site
• Funds can be used for lease, purchase, replacement or retrofit of anti-idling technology
Web site:
Phone: (801) 536-4175

Wisconsin Diesel Truck Idling Reduction Grant Program
• $250,000 designated specifically for small fleets of 50 or fewer trucks
• Reimbursement of 70 percent of the equipment cost and installation
• Trucks must be headquartered in Wisconsin
Web site:
Phone: (608) 267-9214

Clarissa Kell-Holland of the Land Line staff contributed to this report.